Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Horton Technique at Alvin Ailey

Ok, you should all know that I have about 8 left feet and one of my many goals when I grow up is to be able to shake my groove thang on the dance floor with confidence.

So enter the Horton technique. After some prodding from my pal Heather who swore that I would like it because it was based on "technique" rather then actual full blown dancing and my Gyrotonics instructor mentioning that the teaser in Pilates looked like a Horton move, off to a 7 pm Monday class at Alvin Ailey I went. Oh, I should also mention that when I grow up, I also want to be a Pilates trainer. Hence why I liked the Horton and Pilates connection.

Heather and another pal Reiko joined me for 90 minutes of pure fun! I loved the live drummer and though the class was packed we managed to not get into any accidents. I would say that I followed about 50% of the moves, but the rest of the time, I was just focusing on enjoying myself. The instructor was way nice and did not make me feel bad about not always being able to follow along.

Will I do it again? I sure would! I just wish it were at an earlier time......

1 comment:

Little Reiko said...

I had learned about a few month's worth of modern when I was in Japan so taking Horton is great to revisit some of the techniques I learned there. However, if you have tight hamstrings and weak hips, a lot of the movements will be challenging. But that's why you're there - to identify and strengthen your weak spots!