Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Manifesto on proper work out attire

Ok so I have to vent. I was in rebounding class recently and what do I see??? A thong peeping out of a girl’s workout pants. Every time I had to face left on my rebounder there was her @#$%^& thong in my line of vision. I wanted to go over to her so badly and tell her to pull her damn pants up!

One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is people who don’t know how to dress appropriately for working out.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that one should be all glam and sparkly when working out, but I would like to toss out this brief manifesto on how one should NOT appear in public:

- Thou shall not wear clothes that are 2-3 sizes too big with big a$$ holes in them and looked like they rolled out of bed.

- Thou shall not wear pants that expose crack (and I don’t mean the stuff you snort.)

- Thou shall wear the proper sports bra. It ain’t pretty when your bosom is flapping about, no matter how big or small your cup size is.

- Thou should make sure that if they are wearing roomy shorts, they are wearing underwear. You may think that there is no way we can know you aren’t wearing anything, oh but we know….

- Thou should check ones appearance in the mirror to make sure that their underwear is tucked in. Because things like thongs peeping out is just down right trashy.

And finally, my all time biggest gym fashion faux paux.....

- Thou shall make sure that their lycra bottoms are not so old and worn thin that one can see the individual's bits and pieces. (This is especially painful to observe when one is stretching in front of you.)

So readers, I would LOVE to hear if you have anything to add to this list....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sooo with you! One morning, I was at my 6:30am Spin class and a woman in front of the room was spinning in a pair of lo rise terry sweat pants. Girlfriend had a little too much junk in the trunk to be sporting lo rise anything. Anyway, as she spun, her pants kept creaping lower and lower down her bum, to the point that myself and everyone in the rows behind her were looking at her gnarly thong, sticking out of her gnarly ass. I couldn't take it and went over to her in the middle of class to let her know (as if she had no idea). She thanked me but could care less! It's hard enough waking up to spin at 6:30 in the morning but catching ass that early just ruins the whole day!

Sara Alvarez said...

This is a very funny manifesto, but one that is clearly needed!

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Too funny.

I think I'm probably somewhere on this list. I'm one of those, "I don't care how old this t-shirt is" types who saves ratty old t-shirts from high school specifically for the purpose of working out. Inevitably, they are too big, as the fashion back then was to wear things "baggy." But I seriously don't care. I'm just going to work out in them, hopefully work up a big sweat running on the treadmill or at a class, etc..

I just hate throwing stuff out, I guess. But I will consider your post in light of above. Thanks for the laugh!

S

G said...

Sadaf, I am SURE you draw the line at wearing them if they had holes and if you are looking for uses for the old Tees. (tee hee) I sometimes use them as rags for cleaning.

Unknown said...

Sadaf trimarichi, I'm with you: my favorite workout attire is an old baggy t-shirt and comfortable lycra pants. It's what keeps me motivated, able to tune everything out and sweat.

Of course, this doesn't keep me from being irritated by what everyone else around me is wearing. My personal manifesto included a lot of commandments on this list. Take the roomy shorts with no undies. Is the person on the treadmill behind you not to be distracted by the exposed bouncy butt every time your sneakers hit the treadmill belt? Plus it often looks like a safety hazard, which is distracting.

At my gym, the latest trend seems to be men working out in short shorts. You have seen them: they are of the loose, cotton variety with the vertical stripe down the hips. That couldn't be practical for the abductor/adductor machines.

The Fitness Diva said...

Here, here! You know you are preaching to the choir! lol

And yes, when the lycra wears out....
better words have not been said! lol

I once wore some Otomix lycra pants to the gym without realizing they had a dime sized hole hslfway down the back middle seam until I got home and took them off! I was mortified! Hey, I'm the instructor, so that makes it even worse! lol Everybody got some free crack at my expense that day! (I did have on a thong, though, and the top of it WAS neatly tucked down into my holey pants. Hey, I tried!) lol