Sunday, November 2, 2008

I did the Urdhva Dhanurasana!! The what??

I had a pose breakthrough in my Vinyasa class on Thursday and it was quite fitting that it was during the class of my fave instructor. (I've blogged about Sonia before as she is the cat's meooow of yoga instructors.)

So, I have always had serious issue with this backbend move. Oh, the endless amounts of classes over the years where I made little progress as I strained, sweated and struggled and the furthest I ever got was the faux version, which was only being able to balance on my head and yet never able to get my arms fully extended and body in the full, glorious half moon shape! Until Thursday night and magic happened.

I did the Urdhva Dhanurasana!! The what?? I did the wheeeel!!! The moments leading up to it, as my lower body was in bridge pose, I was like F** it, I am tired of feeling weak and pressuring myself, I’m just gonna try it with no “mind baggage.” And lo and behold, I DID it. Twas like angels lifting me up. Giggle. I was soo surprised that my friggin head was off the ground and because I hadn't taken her class/attempted the move in months!! Getting out of the pose, I was SUPER anxious because this being the first time I successfully did the pose, I was fearful that my arms would give out on me which would have led to true blue DIS-aster. But, I successfully eased myself out of it with a snails pace.

I was delirious and so full of adrenaline that the restorative parts of the class were lost on me and the mind buzzed with my accomplishment!

So let this be a lesson to all of you THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!! Now, if only I can figure out how to master crow and the headstand…

No comments: